Daily Archives: August 7, 2017

Deputy Minister Mduduzi Manana regrets Cubana incident

I wish to apologise unreservedly to Ms Mandisa Duma, her family, the government of South Africa and all South Africans, and women in particular, for the incident that happened at Cubana Restaurant in Fourways over the weekend.

Regardless of the extreme provocation, I should have exercised restraint. That shameful incident should not have happened. I know that my actions and those of the people in my company have disappointed and hurt many people in the country. As a leader, I should have known better and acted better. I will subject myself fully to the process of the law and give it my full cooperation.

I further note the fake accounts that have been opened in my personal name, showing less remorse to the victim and intended to further tarnish my name.

I also commit myself to, when the time is right, further engage with Ms Duma and her family to apologise, take responsibility and address the harm that has occurred.

I will also meet with my organisation, the ANC, and President Zuma to give a full account of the incident.

Source: Government of South Africa

Minister Dlodlo committed to digital migration

Communications Minister Ayanda Dlodlo has reiterated her commitment to see all South Africans migrating from analogue to digital television by December 2018.

I have full appreciation of the impact that the digital migration project is set to have on the economy of this country. I therefore have no intention to delay the process, Minister Dlodlo said on Sunday.

The International Telecommunications Union has prescribed countries to switch over from an analogue television signal to a digital terrestrial television signal which will allow for the radio frequency spectrum to be freed up and allowing for faster mobile data services.

South Africa has on a several occasions missed its deadline for migration due to legal process over the encryption of set-top boxes, as well as legal battles.

Following the Constitutional Court ruling of June that favours non-encryption for government-subsidised set-top boxes (STBs), Minister Dlodlo has been driving the Digital Migration process forward.

Among others, the Minister set up a meeting of key stakeholders in the Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT) migration process consisting of broadcasters and mobile operators.

The meeting – which for the first time included mobile operators – was held last month and gathered ideas from the industry on how they can contribute in fast-tracking the DTT process. Representatives of SABC, Etv, Multichoice, Cell C, MTN, Vodacom, Liquid Telecom (formerly Neotel), Telkom, Star Sat and USAASA attended the meeting.

According to the Government Communication and Information System (GCIS), all parties at the meeting pledged their full support to the Minister and expressed a willingness to partner with government in taking the process forward, including providing any resources that may be required.

The main area of cooperation is on public education and awareness to ensure that people understand the digital migration process and its benefits.

One of the key decisions made at that meeting is the formation of the Digital Migration Advisory Committee driven by both government and industry players. It was agreed that the Committee will develop a comprehensive project plan indicating timelines and resources required.

GCIS said the Ministry has since received names of members of the advisory committee from industry players. This team is set to meet soon to consider the project plan that will see the finalisation of the DTT process.

In addition to this, Minister Dlodlo has had further meetings with industry players who have pledged financial support.

The Department of Communications is also currently working with the Free State government on the DTT roll-out focusing on district municipalities such as Lejweleputswa, Matjhabeng, Nala, Tswelopele, Tokologo and Masolonya.

Today the department is commencing with the awareness and registration campaign programme.

Source: South African Government News Agency

South Sudan Army Capture Rebel Headquarters Near Ethiopia

ZANZIBAR, TANZANIA � South Sudan’s government forces have overtaken the rebel-held stronghold and opposition headquarters of Pagak, along the Ethiopian border, William Gatjiath Deng, spokesman for the opposition IO, told The Associated Press.

“They took the main town and our forces are now regrouping,” said Deng.

Army spokesman Lul Ruai Koang did not confirm the reports saying that he’s “not aware” of Pagak’s takeover.

The rebels burned their military barracks before fleeing, to prevent government forces from being able to use the ammunition, according to residents.

“While this is a significant symbolic setback for the IO it remains to be seen whether the government can secure the position so deep in IO territory,” said an aid worker familiar with the situation in Pagak, who insisted on anonymity for security reasons.

Earlier this year the government declared a unilateral ceasefire, however there have been continued reports of government-led offensives into Maiwut and toward Pagak, including killings of civilians and burnings of houses.

In July, the United Nations reported that 25 aid workers were evacuated from Pagak due to attacks.

Since South Sudan spiraled into civil war almost four years ago, Pagak has been the headquarters of the opposition rebels, led by former Vice President Riek Machar, who is in exile in South Africa. The IO rebels still hold territory in Panyijar Country in Unity state as well rural areas of Jonglei state and Akobo state, traditionally areas where South Sudan’s Nuer people live.

Source: Voice of America

Arts and Culture on collection of media accreditation for 2017 Women’s Day celebration

Members of the media who applied for accreditation to cover the 2017 National Women’s Day celebration taking place on 09 August 2017 at Galeshewe Stadium, Kimberley in the Northern Cape are advised to collect their accreditation cards.

Details are as follows:

Day 1: 8 August 2017 from 9h00- 17h00 at Mayibuye Multipurpose Centre in Galeshewe, Kimberley

Day 2: 9 August 2017 from 7h00- 10h00 at Mayibuye Multipurpose Centre in Galeshewe, Kimberley

NB: You are required to bring your ID Book and Press Card or letter from the editor when collecting accreditation and also at the event.

Source: Government of South Africa

Long-Term Potential of Nuclear Power Remains High: IAEA Report

Nuclear power’s long-term potential remains high, although its global expansion is projected to slow down in coming years, according to a new IAEA report on International Status and Prospects for Nuclear Power 2017.

The decline compared to previous projections is mainly on account of early retirement or lack of interest in extending life of nuclear power plants in some countries, due to the reduced competitiveness of nuclear power in the short run and national nuclear policies in several countries following the accident at Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant in 2011.

The report analyses the factors which could influence the future of nuclear power, such as funding and financing, electricity markets and public acceptance. If nuclear power’s potential as a low-carbon energy source grows in recognition and advanced reactor designs further improve both safety and radioactive waste management, the use of nuclear power could grow significantly, the report says.

In some countries, concerns about climate change provide an incentive to support continued operation of nuclear power plants, or are part of the argument for a new build programme, said Mikhail Chudakov, Deputy Director General and Head of the Department of Nuclear Energy.

Over time advanced technologies may become commercially available for consideration as part of a low carbon energy mix. More than 30 advanced water cooled reactors are already under construction worldwide. In the meantime, and in light of increased demand for clean energy, maintaining an operating fleet is necessary in order to bridge the gap between existing and next-generation technologies.

The IAEA’s projections for global installed nuclear power capacity in the high case indicate an increase from 2016 levels by 42% in 2030, by 83% in 2040 and by 123% in 2050. The low case projects a decline in capacity by 12% in 2030 and 15% in 2040 before rebounding to present levels by 2050.

Significant decline is expected in North America and in the region including northern, western and southern Europe, with only slight increases in Africa and western Asia. Significant growth is projected in central and eastern Asia, where nuclear power capacity is expected to undergo an increase of 43% by 2050.

The low projections through to 2050 show no net growth in installed capacity; however, that does not mean there is no new construction. In fact, even in the low case, some 320 GW(e) of new nuclear power capacity will be installed by 2050, making up for the loss caused by retiring reactors, albeit not necessarily in the same regions.

Global electricity demand growth continues and is mainly driven by emerging economies. There are 28 countries interested in introducing nuclear power. Of the 30 countries already operating nuclear power plants, 13 are either constructing new ones or are actively completing previously suspended construction projects, and 16 have plans or proposals for building new reactors.

The IAEA’s projections are developed by world experts taking into account the status and condition of all 447 operating reactors, possible licence renewals, planned shutdowns and plausible construction projects foreseen for the next several decades. The low case, designed to produce conservative but plausible estimates, assumes a continuation of current market, technology and resource trends with few changes to policies affecting nuclear power. The high case assumes that current rates of economic and electricity demand growth, particularly in Asia, will continue.

The detailed account is published annually in the IAEA’s publication Energy, Electricity and Nuclear Power Estimates for the Period up to 2050. Its 37th edition will be published in September 2017.

Source: International Atomic Energy Agency