Daily Archives: June 28, 2017

MEC Mathabo Leeto donates Sport Equipment and Attire to Sport Clubs and Sport Hubs in Maokeng

Handover of Sport Equipment and Playing Attire

On 27 June 2017 the Free State MEC for Sport, Arts, Culture and Recreation, Me Mathabo Leeto donated Sport Equipment and Attire to 50 Sport Clubs and 12 Sport Hubs in Maokeng, Kroonstad. This programme was aimed at affording youth & senior citizens with resources in order to grant equal opportunities to all our people irrespective of their background. Recipients were 10 sport clubs from various sport codes such as basketball, cricket, netball, boxing, and volleyball.

Speaking at the handover ceremony MEC Leeto stated, As a Department, it remains our objective to unlock all the potential talent across the Free State Province. Our Department will continue to offer opportunities for communities to participate in sport and recreation events that unite and foster social cohesion. Our Department also seeks to promote participation in sport and recreation; we advocate and enact transformation in sport and recreation; we develop talented athletes by providing them with opportunities to excel; and we support high performance athletes to achieve success in international sport.

This programme came as a result of the pronouncements made by MEC Leeto when delivering her 2017/18 Budget Vote; in this regard MEC Leeto stated that, A new integrated model around Sport Hubs will be developed. We will robustly engage municipalities to avail sport facilities for communities. It is a fact that stadiums in communities were established for the benefit of communities. We will engage with municipalities for the sport facilities in municipalities to be transformed into sport hubs.

Source: Government of South Africa

SOUTH AFRICAN RESERVE BANK WANTS ATTEMPT TO CHANGE ITS MANDATE STOPPED IN ITS TRACKS

PRETORIA, June 28 (NNN-SABC) -- The South African Reserve Bank says the "gross overreach" of the Public Protector, the cuntry's ombudsman, must be stopped in its tracks.The central bank's Governor, Lesetja Kganyago, had written a hard-hitting affidavit...

North West on Home Loan and Mortgage Disclosure Amendment Bill and Property Practitioners Bill

Home Loans and Mortgage Disclosure Bill and Property Practitioners Bill open for public consultationsPeople in property business and members of the public have until 04 July 2017 to make inputs to the Property Practitioners Bill of 2016 and the Home Lo...

Suspected human trafficker appears in court

Pretoria � A former South African National Defence Force (SANDF) General arrested in suspicion of human trafficking and fraud in Pretoria is appearing at the Pretoria North Magistrate Court today.

The suspect has allegedly conned more than 200 young people promising them training and placement at the SANDF.

On Tuesday, the Gauteng Social Development Department officials rescued 237 young people who were found at a house in Karen Park not far from the Wonder Park mall, north of Pretoria.

The man known, as General Ndaba, was arrested by the Akasia Police yesterday after the Gauteng Department of Social Development rescued the 237 young people who allegedly paid exorbitant sums of money for training and enlisting in the SANDF.

The victims, most of whom are below the age of 30, were recruited mostly from KwaZulu-Natal.

They reportedly paid R300 for their registration, R1800 for training, as well as R200 per month since last year for lodging.

They claim to have been trained as military war veterans under Amabutho Royal Defence in order to be integrated in the SANDF.

About 22 social workers and social auxiliary workers, assisted by the Akasia Police and the local community policing forum, as well as members of the community rescued the youth and provided them with food.

They were all taken to the Salvation Army in Akasia for accommodation last night and will be repatriated to their homes today.

Department spokesperson Mbangwa Xaba told SAnews that they have started assisting the stranded young people with transport to return home.

The first bus has already left and we are now busy assisting the next group with transport to go home, Xaba said.

He said these people have been here since last year. The man who has recruited them told them that he provides workshops for people to be recruited to the military.

"We have established that the SANDF does not have any middle people for recruitment. He is running an illegal operation from his house. We are awaiting the victims to lay charges, then police and social development will assist in the carrying out of justice."

Xaba said the department made the discovery after concerned residents complained about the noise coming from a house where these young people were kept.

Source: South African Government News Agency

Militants Withdraw Threat to Attack Niger Delta Oil Industry

YENAGOA, NIGERIA � A militant group in Nigeria's oil-rich southern Niger Delta has withdrawn its threat to launch attacks on oil facilities beginning this week.

Early in June, the New Delta Avengers, a previously unheard of group, issued a statement saying it would fight for a greater share of proceeds from crude oil sales to go to the impoverished region.

But in an open letter, the group withdrew its threat Wednesday.

"NDA has decided to shelve our planned attack on major oil facilities in the region from June 30, 2017," said the group.

"We have decided to give peace a chance," it said, stating that its decision was made to help local community leader Edwin Clark continue efforts to end regional violence.

The New Delta Avengers were apparently named in a nod to the Niger Delta Avengers, who last year crippled the OPEC member's oil production. Crude oil sales account for two-thirds of government revenue.

The attacks last year deepened a recession in Africa's biggest economy that was largely caused by low oil prices. The government has been holding peace talks with Niger Delta communities to end the violence, and there have been no major attacks this year.

Source: Voice of America