Daily Archives: January 10, 2017

New Television Documentary Film Series Offers Platform for Creative, In Depth, Original Story Telling

WASHINGTON, Jan. 9, 2017 /PRNewswire/ — Makers and lovers of documentary film will find a new go-to place this year. “BIG STORY,” a 35 hour television strand each weekend is home to a wide range of current affairs documentaries tackling global issues in unique and creative ways.

China Global Television Network

The series is part of the launch of a dynamic new platform of programs on the China Global Television Network (CGTN).

BIG STORY signals CGTN’s commitment to high quality global news and current affairs content. The China Global Television Network broadcasts daily through cable and satellite and through an increasing digital media presence from production centers in Beijing, Washington D.C., and Nairobi.

BIG STORY showcases films acquired from all across the globe and commissions ground breaking documentaries from top film directors.

In its first weeks on air, BIG STORY will take viewers to Afghanistan.  In its television debut, “Tell Spring Not to Come This Year” portrays Afghan National Army’s war against the Taliban in gripping fashion.  Directed and beautifully photographed by Saeed Taji Farouky and Michael McEvoy, the film focuses on Afghan foot soldiers engaged in the nation’s struggle now that most American and NATO forces have departed. It garnered the Panorama Audience Choice Award at the 2015 Berlin Film Festival.

BIG STORY is also the home of the television premiere of a highly moving profile of an elderly couple in Shanghai battling the ravages of Alzheimer’s disease.

“Please Remember Me” highlights dramatically the issue of senile dementia which impacts nine million people in China and 45 million worldwide.  The film brings together love, the struggle to provide healthcare, and the need to preserve memories of a lifetime.  Directed by Qing Zhao and Produced by Du Feng, the film won three Awards last year at the Guangzhou Documentary Film Festival.

In addition to cable and satellite, BIG STORY and all of CGTN’s wide array of news and current affairs programming may be screened on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVV5pj7Pvsc

BIG STORY documentaries can be seen Fridays at 5 pm Eastern US Time, 10 pm in the United Kingdom. On Saturdays at 8pm Eastern US Time, and on Sundays at 9 pm Beijing time.

Reviewers seeking more information and online previews of any of remarkable new BIG STORY films should contact media.inquiries@cgtnamerica.com

BIG STORY, a production of the China Global Television Network.

Photo – http://mma.prnewswire.com/media/455143/China_Global_Television_Network_BIG_STORY.jpg

Video – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ADPtjd9oRU&feature=youtu.be

POWER CUT LOOMS FOR ERRANT SOUTH AFRICAN MUNICIPALITIES

One of the 27 municipalities which owe South African power utility Eskom close to 10 billion Rand (about 728 million US dollars) in unpaid bills, has attributed its debt to lack of consistency in leadership.

The Ditsobotla Municipality in Litchenburg in North West Province has incurred a debt of 185 million Rand in just three years. The municipality, which was placed under administration in 2015, has had at least two mayors and four municipal managers in the last three years.

All 27 municipalities have at only a week left to pay their unpaid electricity bills. In North West Province, several municipalities are in the red, including Madibeng, Kgetleng, Mamusa, Naledi and Ditsobotla.

The Ditsobotla Municipality says that the instability caused by the appointing and firing of municipal managers had led to going through eight months without billing. With a week to go before Eskom pulls the plug, there is no immediate solution, apart from advising big businesses to start buying electricity directly from Eskom.

The municipality’s Acting Chief Financial Officer, Tsie Tsie, says it will be impossible for it to pay the unpaid bills before Eskom cuts off the supply.

While one civic organization, SANCO, is calling for punitive action to be taken against officials responsible for the current state of affairs, and for municipalities to be placed under administration, big businesses are already predicting job losses.

Local businesses are also worried. Tom Hoogkant runs a carpentry business, which he says only uses electrically-powered machinery.

As a carpenter I rely on electricity. It will affect me, it will be very tough now. Most of the time we use electrical tools. I can’t afford to lose my job. I use these tools on a daily basis to do the job. I can’t afford to buy a generator.

Meanwhile, Eskom says plans are underway to pull the plug on all municipalities which have failed to service their debt, unless arrangements are made to settle the outstanding amounts.

Ditsobotla says they will enter into negotiations with Eskom on how to service the debt through monthly payments.

Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK

Premier Ace Magashule appoints Heads of Departments

In terms of the Public Service Act (No. 103 of 1994), Free State Premier Hon. Ace Magashule has appointed Heads of Departments (HODs) as follows:

Mr. Sandile Msibi has been reappointed as Head of Department: Police, Roads & Transport

Advocate Tsoarelo Malakoane has been appointed Head of Department: Education. Adv. Malakoane was formerly the HOD for Sport, Arts, Culture and Recreation

Mr. Stanley Malope has been appointed Head of Department: Sport, Arts, Culture and Recreation. Mr Malope was formerly the HOD for Education.

“The Free State provincial government congratulates the Heads of Departments on their appointments. We wish them well and we are confident that they will execute their functions with distinction” – Premier Magashule said.

Source: Government of South Africa

Italy announces reopening of Libya embassy

Italian Interior Minister Marco Minniti announced Monday the reopening of his country’s embassy in the Libyan capital, which closed in 2015 along with all other Western embassies due to violence.

Speaking at a news conference in Tripoli, Minniti said the Italian ambassador would present his credentials on Tuesday before taking up his duties in the embassy in the Libyan capital. Diplomatic missions in Libya have been targeted in recent years, including in 2012 when an attack on the US consulate in the eastern city of Benghazi killed ambassador Chris Stevens and three other American staff. The embassy of Italy, a former colonial power in Libya, was one of the last western missions to close in February 2015 after a coalition of militias seized the capital Tripoli. In a statement, Italy’s foreign ministry said the reopening of the embassy showed “confidence in the process of stabilising the country”. Minniti said he held talks with Libyan officials on cooperation in the fight against illegal immigration and terrorism. In recent years Italy has been on the front line of migrants arriving across the Mediterranean and has been pushing for agreements with governments in North Africa to facilitate returns. Libya’s Foreign Minister Mohamad Taher Siala said he had agreed with Minniti to launch joint initiatives to combat illegal immigration, as well as the smuggling of oil from his country. “We have agreed to build new relations of cooperation on the basis of the friendship treaty signed in 2008,” said Siala. The treaty was signed by late Libyan dictator Moamer Kadhafi and former Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi. It provides for cooperation from Libya in the fight against illegal immigration in return for compensation from Italy for its colonisation of Libya, which lasted more than three decades until 1942.

Source: National News Agency