Daily Archives: October 25, 2016

Unprecedented $60 Million Donation to Fight Hunger Marks Enterprise Rent-A-Car’s 60th Anniversary

Fill Your Tank Program Supports Local Food Banks and Pantries, Feeding America, Food Banks Canada and The Global FoodBanking Network

ST. LOUIS, Oct. 25, 2016 /PRNewswire/ — The Enterprise Rent-A-Car Foundation today announces one of the largest donations aimed at fighting hunger. The program – called Fill Your Tank – celebrates the company’s 60th anniversary by providing $60 million to address food insecurity around the globe.

Logo – http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20161024/431948LOGO

Enterprise Fill Your Tank

“Enterprise Rent-A-Car is woven into the fabric of the thousands of towns and neighborhoods where we do business, and food insecurity is an issue in all of those communities. Many times, hunger is invisible to us. We often don’t see the signs that someone might be food-insecure or think about the ripple effects of hunger,” said Enterprise Rent-A-Car Foundation Vice President and Executive Director Carolyn Kindle Betz.

“Our employees have long supported food banks and pantries in the cities and neighborhoods we serve. The Fill Your Tank program is a natural extension of the good work our employees are already doing. It’s also particularly poignant as addressing hunger was one of the last wishes of my grandfather and our founder, Jack Taylor, who passed away earlier this year,” added Kindle Betz.

Over the next six years, $10 million will be distributed annually as follows:

  • $2.5 million to Feeding America®, the largest U.S. domestic hunger-relief and food rescue charity. These funds will help fight hunger among seniors and children.
  • $1.5 million to Food Banks Canada to support operations and infrastructure in food banks across Canada.
  • $1 million to The Global FoodBanking Network to expand the work of food banks around the world, especially food banks in the U.K., Ireland, France, Germany and Spain on behalf of company-owned operations in these countries.
  • $5 million to local food banks and pantries in communities served by Enterprise.

Checks will begin arriving at more than 365 local food banks and food pantries across North America in the next week. These specific donations are determined by local Enterprise operations. Beyond donations, the brand is supporting the initiative with a hunger awareness campaign and through local engagement. Specifically, the awareness campaign will feature stories of what is possible when people are running on a “full tank” – that is, when they have enough to eat. The stories will be featured on Enterprise social media channels,enterprise.com/FillYourTank as well as on partner social media channels.

Globally, one in nine people don’t get enough food to be healthy and lead an active life, according to the World Food Programme. In the United States, seniors are the fastest growing food-insecure population. One in 11 seniors is at risk of hunger, often finding themselves choosing between food and other basic needs. But children are at even greater risk. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, one in six American children is food insecure. Today, more than a third of households served by Feeding America include at least one child.

“An investment of this size in hunger-relief charities in the US, Canada, and around the world is unprecedented,” said Feeding America CEO Diana Aviv. “The Enterprise Rent-A-Car Foundation’s donation is monumental for Feeding America and the 46 million people we serve. This gift will not only help us fight hunger where it exists today, but also will help build programs to better prepare to serve growing food-insecure populations.”

The founder of Enterprise, Jack Taylor, established the company in 1957 with a fleet of seven cars. Today, Enterprise operates in more than 85 countries and territories and is the largest car rental company in the world, based on revenue, fleet size and number of locations. Taylor started the Foundation in 1982 as a way to give back to the communities that drove Enterprise’s growth and success. Since then, the Foundation and the Taylor family have contributed more than $1 billion to thousands of local non-profits, with a special focus on community improvement, education and environmental stewardship. Meanwhile, each year Enterprise employees contribute their time and skills to thousands of national and local organizations in the cities and neighborhoods they serve.

A decade ago, Enterprise Rent-A-Car Foundation marked the company’s 50th anniversary with the 50 Million Tree Pledge – a commitment to plant a million trees each year on public lands.

“It’s in that same spirit that we’re launching the Fill Your Tank initiative,” said Kindle Betz. “It’s a way to honor our company’s past while looking forward to the future, and a way to thank Enterprise’s customers and neighbors for their support by making a long-term impact on a critical issue.”

Competition for the Grand Prize in MoneyGram G.O.A.L. Is On

Over 40 African football teams registered for the first structured tournament in Guangzhou

GUANGZHOU, China, Oct. 25, 2016 /PRNewswire/ — Football players representing 11 different countries such as Nigeria, Ghana, Liberia, Senegal, Angola, Guinea Bissau, Guinea Conakry, Mali, Cameroon, Ivory Coast and Congo will compete in the first professional football tournament brought to the African communities by MoneyGram (NASDAQ: MGI).

MoneyGram launched G.O.A.L. football tournament in China.

Photo – http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20161025/432184
Logo – http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20150730/251082LOGO

“We are overwhelmed by the response to this tournament from the African communities. It’s inspiring that so many teams have registered that we had to increase the number of participants. It shows the passion for football among the African communities living in Guangzhou,” says Sabrina Chan, marketing director, Asia and China at MoneyGram. “At MoneyGram we constantly strive to ‘bring people closer’ through reliable money transfer services connecting families across geographies. With this tournament we are bringing together the African communities for something they all are passionate about – football,” adds Chan.

Over 40 football teams had registered to showcase their skills in MoneyGram G.O.A.L., a new five-a-side football tournament, starting in Guangzhou, China. Guangzhou Open African League took place for the first time at the Act Club, Tianhebei Road and will run for three consecutive Saturdays to culminate in the Grand Finals on November 5, 2016. The teams will have an opportunity to showcase their skills on a professional football field and win the Grand Prize of $2,000 USD for the best team and $1,000 USD for the runner up.

MoneyGram Logo.

“The excitement in MoneyGram G.O.A.L. shows not only the great interest in football but also how important it is for us at MoneyGram to engage with the African communities we serve. We look forward to seeing this tournament grow,” said Sabine Bauchau, marketing director, Africa at MoneyGram.

MoneyGram G.O.A.L. will host its second weekend of qualifying matches on Saturday, October 29 with the Finals being held at 2pm on November 5 at the Act Club, Tianhebei Road, Guangzhou.

#moneygramnews

About MoneyGram International, Inc.
MoneyGram is a global provider of innovative money transfer and payment services and is recognized worldwide as a financial connection to friends and family. Whether online, or through a mobile device, at a kiosk or in a local store, we connect consumers any way that is convenient for them. We also provide bill payment services, issue money orders and process official checks in select markets. More information about MoneyGram International, Inc. is available at moneygram.com.

Media contact:
Maria Bankiet-Kamińska
MoneyGram
Tel: + 48 (0) 22 377 2185
Mob: + 48 (0) 885 889 696
Mail: MbankietKaminska@moneygram.com

Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula opens SANMVA National General Conference, 28 Oct

The Minister of Defence and Military Veterans, Ms Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula will on Friday the 28th October 2016 officially open the National General Conference (NGC) of the South African National Military Veterans Association (SANMVA), at the Birchwood & OR Tambo Conference Centre � Ekurhuleni.

SANMVA is a national umbrella association that comprises of former liberation army’s such as uMKhonto we Sizwe (MKMva), Azanian People’s Liberation Movement Veterans Associations (APLAMva) and Azanian National Liberation Army (AzanlaMva) as well as the Conference of Military Veterans’ Organisations.

The objective of the Conference is to reiterate the department’s commitment to improve living conditions of Military Veterans, who were previously excluded before the establishment of the department in 2012.The occasion will help the department and the association, to come up with concrete plans to address the plight of the Military Veterans community and speed up service delivery, so that they enjoy every right they have been deprived of.

More than 300 SANMVA delegates from all provinces will discuss various matters that affect military veterans, their dependents and how they can access benefits. Ministers who are expected to support and attend the NGC are Ministers Gugile Nkwinti, Minister Mosebenzi Zwane, Minister Des van Rooyen and the Deputy Minister of Defence and Military Veterans Mr Kebby Maphatsoe.

The National General Conference will take place under the theme: Together Moving South Africa forward: Accelerating Delivery of Benefits to Military Veterans

Source: Government of South Africa

SOUTH AFRICA TO INTRODUCE LEGISLATION TO PREVENT HATE CRIMES

South African Justice and Correctional Services Minister Michael Masutha says the government intends to introduce legislation aimed at preventing hate crimes and has called on the public to make inputs on the Prevention and Combating of Hate Crimes and Hate Speech Bill.

Addressing a media briefing here Monday, he said the Bill would help in dealing with recurring incidencts of racial, xenophobic and related intolerances. We are clear that this Bill itself may not end racism and other intolerances but will create an instrument that will hold those guilty of committing acts accountable before the law, he added.

A hate crime is committed if a person commits any recognized offence, that is a common law or statutory offence and the commission of that offence is motivated by unlawful bias, prejudice or intolerance.

The base offences most often committed against victims of hate crimes are offences relating to the physical and emotional integrity of the person, as well as offences against the property of the victims, for instance murder, attempted murder, rape, assault in all its various manifestations, robbery, housebreaking, malicious damage to property, crimen injuria and arson.

The prejudice, bias or intolerance towards the victim of the hate crime would be because of one or more of the following characteristics, or perceived characteristics, of the victim or the victim’s next of kin — race, gender, sex, ethnic or social origin, colour, sexual orientation, religion, belief, culture, language, birth, HIV status, nationality, gender identity, intersex, albinism and occupation or trade, Masutha said.

He added that although nationality, gender identity, HIV status, albinism, intersex and occupation or trade are not expressly mentioned in section 9(3) of the country’s Constitution, it has been argued that it should be included in the Bill because of the hate crimes which have been committed on the basis of these grounds.

The Bill has been published for public comment in the Government Gazzette and can be accessed on www.justice.gov.za. Interested parties and individuals may make inputs until Dec 1, 2016.

It is important that the final version of the bill must represent the collective wisdom of the nation and reflect our renewed commitment to uproot these social ills, Masutha said.

The Bill was drafted after a thorough study of other similar legislation internationally, such as those in Kenya, Canada and Australia.

Source: Nam News Network

Countdown to analogue switch off in Northern Cape

The scheduled switch off of analogue transmitters in the core towns of the Square Kilometre Array (SKA) area in the Northern Cape on Friday is a milestone that must celebrated by all South Africans, says the Department of Communications Acting Director General, Ndivhuho Munzhelele.

On Friday, October 28, Communications Minister Faith Muthambi will officially turn off the analogue system in the SKA area and this will signal a mammoth change in the broadcasting space in the country.

It is indeed a humbling experience when one looks at how joyful people are when they receive excellent quality digital pictures on their television screens. The fact that we have successfully discontinued the analogue signals in the SKA area is a clear indication that together working with the private sector, we can make the digital terrestrial television project a reality in our country.

This is a significant milestone to be celebrated by all South Africans, Munzhelele said.

The world is going through a television revolution of migrating from analogue to digital broadcasting. Digital broadcasting works by translating sound and pictures into digital data rather than analogue waveforms. The process is key for opening up more frequencies and faster mobile broadband services.

Over 3 700 households in the towns of Carnavon, Vanwyksvlei, Brandvlei, Vosburg and Williston have fully migrated to the digital platform. Residents living in the SKA community of Keimoes and Kai Garib were the first people in South Africa to experience DTT in the country following the unveiling of the registration process for set-top boxes (STBs) in the area on 3 October 2015, by Minister Muthambi.

Subsequent to this, Minister Muthambi launched the first installation of government subsidised STBs in Keimoes in December last year.

The protection of analogue television transmissions ceased as of 17 June 2015 as per the International Telecommunications Union’s resolutions, of which South Africa is a signatory.

Realising that South Africa will miss the ITU deadline, Minister Muthambi assured South Africans that there will be no television blackout beyond the ITU’s deadline to migrate from analogue to digital broadcasting.

She immediately initiated a process of signing bilateral agreements with neighbouring countries such as Swaziland, Mozambique, Lesotho, Namibia and Botswana to mitigate cross border radio frequency spectrum interference.

Munzhelele said since the ITU deadline, the country has not experienced television blackout or radio frequency interference.

Over 156 countries signed the ITU agreement in 2006 to switch from analogue to digital transmission. The agreement set up a frequency plan for Europe, Africa and parts of Asia. All signatories committed to switch off analogue transmission by 2015.

Munzhelele said the switch from analogue television transmissions to digital will end the harmful interference to the radio telescope operations at the SKA site.

He said once the Minister discontinues the analogue signal on Friday, households in the area will enjoy the benefits of digital quality free-to-air television broadcasts, incorporating all public service channels, including the SABC 24-hour satellite news channel, 404.

Government is rolling out subsidised STBs in a provincial-phased approach and now registrations are underway in the Free State, Mpumalanga and Limpopo. Munzhelele said poor households who qualify for the government subsidy should visit their nearest post office to register for free STBs.

Registrations will open in the North West, Eastern Cape, KwaZulu-Natal, Western Cape and Gauteng at a later stage.

Priority is given to the provinces along the country’s borders in order to minimise the prospects of signal interference with neighbouring countries, who are ready to deploy mobile communication services in the spectrum currently used by analogue television transmissions.

Source: South African Government News Agency.